We are obsessed with checkered patterns! This ubiquitous motif has ancient roots and modern flair; from game boards to vintage skateboarding shoes to woven gingham fabric, we love seeing where this simple design pops up.
We were determined to make a macramé project that employs this popular, patchwork repeat and it was with delight that we created the Checkerboard Rug. With a handful of familiar knots and a few simple tricks you can knot up a trendy Checkerboard of your own!
Available as a Pattern Download or as a Kit.
Finished Size: Approximately 20 in wide by 27 in long (not including fringe)
Knots and Techniques:
Reverse Larks Head
- Horizontal Double Half Hitch
- Square Knot
- Checkerboard Mesh
Knotting Time: This rug will take you approximately 4-6 hours to complete
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Three bundles of 4mm Cotton Cord, Color A (we chose Natural)
- Three bundles of 4mm Cotton Cord, Color B (we chose Wheat)
- One bundle of 5mm Cotton Rope, Color A (we chose Natural)
- One bundle of 5mm Cotton Rope, Color B (we chose Wheat)
- Two S-Hooks
- One Dowel at least 24" long (dowel will be removed at the end of the project)
Save $41.98 when you purchase as a kit!
Click here for a shortcut to your shopping list!
Designed lovingly for you by our team at Modern Macramé. Want to meet us? Check out our About section!
Make it easy, let us send you all the required materials! The Checkerboard Rug Pattern Download with a Kit, comes with the following:
- Three bundles of 4mm Cotton Cord, in Natural
- Three bundles of 4mm Cotton Cord, in Wheat
- One bundle of 5mm Cotton Rope, in Natural
- One bundle of 5mm Cotton Rope, in Wheat
- Two S-Hooks
- One 24" Dowel
- Digital Pattern Download
What a different colorway? Email email@example.com to arrange!
- We chose to knot this rug in neutral tones, Wheat and Natural, but imagine this dynamic floor covering in a more literal interpretation of the motif, such as Bright White and Black. Or any number of appealing color combos, the sky’s the limit. Pick a palette that compliments your sense of style and playfulness!
- Our finished rug is about the size of a bathmat, 20” x 27” but this pattern could easily be doubled in width. You would need only to double the materials list and multiply the number of cuts by two! You would also need a larger dowel to accommodate a 40” width.
- If you wanted to double the length you would simply double the materials list AND double the lengths of the cuts on the cut list! You would still use a 24” dowel.
- If you wanted to quadruple the size and have a rug that is twice as wide and twice as long, you would double the number of cuts as well as double the length of the cuts on the cut list. You would also quadruple the materials list!
The macramé Pattern is a digital DOWNLOAD! Once you've completed checkout you will receive an EMAIL with a link to download the pattern.
Receiving a Kit? Get Free Ground shipping (in the USA) on all orders over $100
We ship Monday through Friday, except for major holidays. Orders typically ship within 1-2 business days. Please allow for an additional 5 days for shipment during a sale period.
We make sure to ship every item in the most economical way possible. Shipping rope is expensive because it is HEAVY. We do our best to offer the best rates and most sustainable way to get your package to you. We pack your orders in recycled boxes sealed with recycled paper tape and use biodegradable, recycled poly mailers for your smaller orders.
We ship via USPS and UPS domestically. Depending on the carrier and shipping speed you choose, shipping typically takes 2-5 days from the ship date (not the order date). However, carriers can experience unexpected delays outside of our control, so we can’t guarantee delivery timeframes, and can only provide estimates.
- Expedited shipping: Outside of sale periods, orders placed by 10am will ship the same day. Any orders placed after 10am will ship the following business day
- International shipping: We offer international shipping via DHL as well as USPS and UPS where available. Please note that shipping times vary and may include potential customs delays.
Local to Portland, Oregon? We offer free curbside pick up at our warehouse or retail space, you choose which location works best for you! Just choose local pick up at checkout and follow the email instructions to schedule the location, day and time.
For more information about shipping, returns, etc. please review our Shipping & Returns page. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Thanks for understanding and for supporting our small, women operated business.
Selected with intention by Emily Katz
You won’t find this treasure anywhere else!